Hornet - Frequently Asked Questions

Why is this site called Doormouse?

HORNET (Halls Of Residence Network) is the name of the University's internet service provider for our halls. Doormouse is the collective name for our management systems, including this website, the server it's hosted on, and our network servers that grant internet access to authorised users.

Why do I only get a blank page on my browser the first time I connect my network cable?

This is because your connection is not being directed to the sign-up page correctly, usually because you are trying to browse to an HTTPS page. Instead, you can manually navigate to https://uom.doormou.se.

Where can I get a network cable?

There should be an Ethernet cable in your room when you move in. If there isn't one, or if it breaks, you can get a new one from the main hall receptions - Whitworth Park, Dalton Ellis and Owens Park. If they don't have any, please contact us and we will deliver some.

I have entered an incorrect MAC address. What do I do next?

You can change this yourself once you are registered. Log into your Hornet account and change your MAC address on your profile. If you are connected via network cable and logged on from your machine, it will detect your MAC address automatically. In case it doesn't, you can register the MAC address manually.

I have just registered my device - why is my connection not working?

After setting up your Hornet account and registering your device on your profile, it may take a few minutes for our network server to be updated, so it grants you Internet access. We also recommend that you reboot your device, to refresh your network adapter settings. If it still doesn't work, please check that the MAC address on your profile matches the one on your device's network settings, and that your hall of residence is correct.

I moved over to different hall or room. How do I update my account?

Your room location is automatically updated from the accommodation system's database. Once the accommodation admin staff have been informed and updated their system, your room will be updated within 24 hours. The change takes place between 4am and 7am daily, and we may run more frequent manual updates during Welcome Week.

Why can't I log in with my University username and password?

Your username and password will not work if you have not fully registered (UoM students/staff). You must make sure you have registered and that your university IT account is active. You can check whether your IT account is active by logging into a PC at any computer cluster.

For residents who are not UoM members, you can create an Indiid account - more details on the login page.

What is a MAC address?

A MAC (Media Access Control) address is used to uniquely identify a network device. Each network adapter inside a phone, laptop, desktop computer, games console, etc. has its own unique MAC address. We use it in our system to identify students' computers and devices, so we can allocate them an IP address in the corresponding subnet for their hall.

How do I connect to Wi-Fi?

Eduroam is the preferred Wi-Fi network at the University. All Eduroam usernames start with your IT account name and finish with @manchester.ac.uk. When setting up Eduroam, you must enter the username in the format universityusername@manchester.ac.uk. For example, if your university account name is v12345ab, your Eduroam username is v12345ab@manchester.ac.uk.

More information is available on the Eduroam section of the main IT Services site.

Can I connect my smart device to the University network?

Eduroam's security features require you to introduce your username and password to connect. If you have a device such as Chromecast, Google Nest, Echo, Alexa... without the functionality to introduce a username and password, unfortunately they will not work on Eduroam. If you have devices without the option for username/password, but with a browser interface (e.g. some Smart TVs), you will be able to connect to UoM_Wifi instead.

Can I use P2P connections and download Torrents on Hornet?

We understand that P2P (peer-to-peer) connections have many legal uses, such as sharing academic material, or downloading game clients and DLCs. The University allows this, but you cannot use Torrent clients to download copyrighted material. JANET (the Internet provider for UK academic institutions) is automatically monitored, and if any copyright infringements are detected, the copyright owners will contact the IT Security team, who will then task us to act on it. If you are caught downloading copyrighted content, your Hornet connection will be disabled for 7 days. This is one of the Terms and Conditions that you have to sign before activating your account - you can read them again here (Points 16-21).

I went through the FAQ and I was unable to find the solution to my problem. What do I do next?

Once you’re registered, you can report a problem from your Hornet Account. At the bottom of your profile page, you can submit a help request. One of our Hornet Reps will attend to the issue within the next 48 hours and aim to fix within next 7 days.

How can I report an issue when my own device isn't working?

The Hornet site and our messaging panel are accessible on mobile devices, so you can report issues from your phone. As an alternative, we have set up a series of Hornet Terminals. These are basic kiosk PCs, set up in the reception areas of most halls, open to the Hornet site so you can access your user profile. You can also use them to report Building Maintenance issues, but non-university websites are blocked.

How can I put in a complaint about the Hornet service?

If you are unhappy with the quality of the Hornet service, please let us know so we can improve. Please log a ticket as normal from your Hornet profile, select "I have a complaint" as the category, and include any relevant details. The ticket will be handled by the Hornet Management team. If you believe there has been a breach of your Accommodation contract and your student rights, you can also put in a complaint with the Accommodation Office.